Monday, November 7, 2011

Need for Speed: The Run - Trailer directed by Michael Bay

And then it EXPLODES AGAIN!


Oh, Michael Bay. Honestly, there weren't as many explosions as I was expecting. Usually he has a ratio of 2 explosions every 30 seconds, and this trailer was well below the quota. But in all seriousness, using Michael Bay to direct a trailer (I'm not even really sure what that entails for a video game trailer) was an interesting, and not necessarily good, decision. First of all, did they create scenes that Bay had in his mind for the trailer? Did they show him every cutscene and other scenes and he could pick and choose what he wanted? I guess I'm confused as to how this makes the trailer any different from the others, except with the addition of a lot more slow motion. We know the story from the others, not much more new content (or any) has been revealed soon.

The game drops in a week, and I feel like I don't know as much as I should about the actual gameplay, or how the story is executed. This prompted me to take a look at an actual gameplay preview, and it looks like the game will be extremely linear. There are ten stages, and you have a goal of getting to a certain position (you start in 150th and work from there) before you reach your destination. Passing people and doing other generally awesome things will net you driver experience and upgrades, but that's pretty much it. And much like the trailers, there will be a couple on foot instances.

I'm very interested in this game, don't get me wrong. But people who are only going to see this trailer on TV or something and not research the game might be a little put off by it. It's an epic, awesome trailer, but it suffers from Dead Island syndrome. Awesome trailer, but the game is not going to be exactly like it. Even Michael Bay can't fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment